Douglas E. Herman
800-554-5128 (Toll free)
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Widener University School of Law, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
- J.D. (Cum Laude) - 2000
- University of Pittsburgh
- B.A. (Magna Cum Laude) - 1997
- Major: Communications
- Major: Political Science
Areas of Practice
- Commercial and Insurance Defense
- Professional Liability, Commercial General Liability, Property and Association Defense
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Banking, Foreclosure, Lien and Creditors' Rights Matters
- Professional Licensure Law
Douglas E. Herman is a partner in the Litigation section of Oliver Maner LLP. Mr. Herman concentrates his practice in several areas of insurance defense, including professional liability, commercial general liability, property and premises, directors and officers, and association defense, commercial and contract litigation, real estate matters, banking, foreclosure, lien and creditors' rights matters, professional licensure law and administrative litigation. Prior to joining Oliver Maner LLP, Mr. Herman practiced in the areas of professional liability defense, insurance defense, school and municipal law, real estate, and employment law with firms in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Mr. Herman has been selected on multiple occasions by his peers for inclusion in U.S. News & World Report's Best Lawyers publication, in the areas of Real Estate Litigation and Commercial Litigation. He has also been recognized as a Rising Star by Georgia's Super Lawyers publication in the areas of professional malpractice and commercial litigation. Further, Mr. Herman has achieved a 5.0-Preeminent AV Peer Review rating from Martindale Hubbell.
Mr. Herman is admitted to practice before all Georgia and Pennsylvania state courts, the United States District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Georgia, the United States District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania, and the United States Courts of Appeal for the Third and Eleventh Circuits.
Mr. Herman is a member of the State Bar of Georgia, the Pennsylvania Bar Association, and the Savannah Bar Association. He is also a member of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society, the Georgia Defense Lawyers Association, and General Counsel to the Chatham County Republican Party. Mr. Herman is also a former counsel to the Savannah Area Board of Realtors and formerly practiced with a firm that was General Counsel to the Pennsylvania Association of Realtors. Outside of his law practice, Mr. Herman is a member of the Board of Directors for the Savannah Area Junior Achievement, a member of the Savannah Area Chamber of Commerce, a member of the University of Pittsburgh Alumni Association, and a past graduate of Leadership Savannah.
Mr. Herman has authored several scholarly articles selected for publication, including a Case note entitled Arkansas Educational Television Commission v. Forbes: A Circular Assault on Political Speech, 8 WIDENER J. PUB L. 471 (1999). He has also authored numerous articles for The Pennsylvania REALTOR®, THE Defense Digest, the Philadelphia Legal Intelligencer, The Pennsylvania Law Weekly, The Savannah Board of Realtors Newsletter, and several insurance industry publications. Further, Mr. Herman has lectured to and provided seminars for insurance companies, attorneys and real estate professionals concerning litigation, insurance and real estate matters.
Mr. Herman was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He attended the University of Pittsburgh, graduating in 1997 with Bachelors of Arts magna cum laude in Political Science and Rhetoric/Communications. While at the University of Pittsburgh, Mr. Herman was a member of the University's Honors College and was placed on The Dean's List.
Mr. Herman then attended the Widener University School of Law, where he received a Juris Doctor cum laude in 2000. While at Widener, he was a member of the Senior Staff of the Widener Journal of Public Law, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, and an academic scholarship recipient.
Prior to commencing his legal career, Mr. Herman worked as a legislative staffer, both in Washington, D.C. and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and as a legislative liaison for a former Governor of Pennsylvania.
- Several scholarly articles selected for publication, including a Case Note entitled Arkansas Educational Television Commission v. Forbes: A Circular Assault on Political Speech, 8 WIDENER J. PUB. L. 471, 1999
- Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission: Justiciability Under the Enrolled Bill Doctrine,, 8 WIDENER J. PUB. L. 763 , 1999
- In Re Petition of Barkman: Pennsylvania’s Closed Primaries Maintain Viability,, 9 WIDENER J. PUB. L. 547 , 2000
Honors and Awards
- Leadership Savannah
- Georgia Rising Star (Multiple Selections)
- U.S. News Best Lawyer – Real Estate Litigation and Commercial Litigation (Multiple Selections)
- Martindale Hubbell Preeminent AV "5.0" rating
- Best Lawyer in America 2015 - Commercial Litigation and Real Estate Litigation
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Georgia
- Savannah Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Member, Professional Liability Underwriters Society
- Junior Achievement of Savannah , Board Member
- Savannah Board of Realtors, General Counsel
- Chatham County Republican Party, General Counsel
- Leadership Savannah, Graduate
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member